Friday, August 13, 2010

and the northern girls with the way they kiss, they keep their boyfriends warm at night

I've had a theory for a very long time that in my past life I was alive and well during the 1960's.
Since I could understand what they were saying, most members of my family and the extended have told me I'm an old soul. According to my hippie aunt--who, at the age of 60, still runs around in long floral skirts with hair down to her knees-- I give off the "vibe" of being an old soul. It apparently has something to do with my quiet demeanor and the way I think and analyze situations (if overanalyzing every single thing makes me an old soul, I must be thousands of years old). So, growing up I learned to accept this. At every family function I was used to being told this theory over and over and politely shrugging and saying "Guess so". I mean, it made sense in some ways: I've always had a passion for history and old things, and you put me inside an antique market and I've stepped inside my own personal heaven. I've also always had interest in very odd things that none of my friends could relate to.

The first time I listened to the Beatles I was 15. I was a bit of a late bloomer in developing my musical taste. I spent the first couple years of high school focussed solely on fitting in, so most of the music I listened to was generic Top 40 pop and a bunch of emo screaming tunes when that phase was big. Thinking back on it now, I never even enjoyed the screaming emo music that I pretended to be head over heels for. A lot of it just made me cringe, but I figured it was what I needed to be listening to to match my style (I was very big on the checkered vans and band tees for a good 6 months in the tenth grade). Ahh your typical high schooler just attempting to be cool. How very cliche of me.
When I listened to The Beatles, it was because I was bored with myself one evening. I decided to download Abbey Road, to see what all the hype was about. Let me tell you, had I ever been missing out.

I'm not going to go into some big emotional speel about my passion for classic rock and folk, even though I could do so very easily. I could go on and on about how Zeppelin turns me on, and how Dylan makes me want to do big things with my life, and Simon and Garfunkel make me cry.
The connection I feel to music from the 60s and early 70s is fantastic and terrible at the same time. It's like the chills all over, and so much happiness mixed with a major sense of regret because nobody makes music like it anymore. I almost feel a sense of longing-- a sense that I'm missing someone or something when I listen to any of it.
So, that is why I am seriously set on my theory that I was alive during the 60's and a true fan of the greatest music ever made.
It sounds silly and doesn't make much sense, but it's hard to explain unless you're me (obviously) so just accept it and nod your head while secretly thinking to yourself "this girl is crazy".

Anyway, the real reason I'm writing a post today is because the past couple of weeks I've been oddly transfixed on that whole 1960's all-American, California, surf music scene.
While organizing CD's at my boyfriend's place (which is also my place of work), I came across a Beach Boys greatest hits album. I like the Beach Boy's a normal amount, I suppose. They remind me of my childhood really, because they were recurring guests on good ol' Full House (the sitcom that defined my early years and created my passion for San Francisco that still burns strong today). I've been really focussed on expanding my music collection lately, so I burned the 30 track CD onto my iTunes since the Beach Boys are a pretty good definition of happy summer listening.
I've had the album on almost non stop. I'm transfixed by the surf guitar sound (SO good), and can't stop wondering why people don't make music like this anymore. The lyrics are corny and the harmonies are like that of a 50's barbershop quartet, but when Beach Boys songs came out in the mid to late 60's, they were considered fantastic, honest, and some of the greatest songs to hit America.
Why can't we think music like this is cool today? I think the world would be such a happy place.

No comments:

Post a Comment